Sunday 3 June 2012

Jubilee - not just one thing, but everything

Forever more I will be able to say that I was part of the Piccadilly celebrations of the historic Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. It's been a lot of fun today. I felt part of the party, I felt proud to be British, happy with my monarch, and seriously joyful to be at St James'.

I soaked up the atmosphere, bought food and fudge from the stalls, helped put up balloons, and chatted with everyone, from church friends to stall owners, and a steward who asked for my number, cheek!

What does this have to do with being a bisexual? Well, it's because this event has affected me across a whole range of the different parts of my life - I love being part of this nation, I'm proud of my faith and my church, enjoying talking to people, and contributing to the event, glad to be living in London for it, missing how we would be celebrating at home watching on TV with mum and dad, flattered but wary of a flirty guy, and spent time hoping I would see the other young woman who I've got my eye on and invited down.
Briton, Christian, St James parishioner, social creature, helper, London dweller, member of my family, young woman, and bisexual.

I am all of these, not just one. And not just one at a time - completely and always everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment